Coffee Data Science
Dye Colored Espresso Shots
In the Before Times, I was looking at different ways to understand flow during the shot. If only there was a way to see how the water went through the puck. It suddenly dawned on me that I could try color dyes.
For those uninterested in words, dyes were not particularly effective, and I ended up drinking an unsafe amount of dye and ended up with a bad stomach pain. My friends were surprised I was drinking the shots. I dumped the last one.
I used four different dyes around the shot.
The colors were similar to each other so it was a little difficult to see the orientation.
The post-shot puck was colorful, but I didn’t see anything particularly interesting.
I had been pulling 14g shots in a 7g basket so as to remove the headspace of the filter. Many of these were staccato shots.
The one thing I noticed during the shot is that the colors stayed in about the same spatial spots. So there wasn’t any crazy lateral movement or channeling.
This shot went one-sided on me.
More colors plus a red dot.
Again, I didn’t see anything interesting even in the post puck.
Overall, this experiment was regrettable because I drank all the shots and got sick from all the dye. It would have been more worth it if I had found something interesting.
Maybe I’ll design another dye experiment for another day but not drink the shots.
If you like, follow me on Twitter and YouTube where I post videos of espresso shots on different machines and espresso related stuff. You can also find me on LinkedIn. You can also follow me on Medium and Patreon.